The aim of Dubai International Academy Model United Nations (DIAMUN) is for students from around the world to come together - to collaborate, discuss and debate current world issues in order to arrive at feasible and effective solutions. In 2021, we look forward to hosting our thirteenth annual conference virtually with over 50 participating schools. A student-led executive team organizes the conference and works diligently with a desire to deliver a MUN conference of the highest standards. Our DIAMUN team is comprised of students from all around the world, adding a much-needed element of internationalism to the conference. Each year we have over 800 students attend DIAMUN from varied continents thus bringing together people from several different backgrounds and cultures. DIAMUN this year will utilize a unique combination of technologies and platforms, including our DIAMUN application and various online platforms, to create an unparalleled and unprecedented MUN experience even amidst the current global crises.
The DIAMUN Executive Team is committed to providing new and experienced student delegates with the best MUN experiences; welcoming delegates from all over the world to engage in challenging debates over economic, social and political issues present in the world today. Our objective is to create a strong voice for the youth - DIAMUN serves as a gateway to the world of diplomacy and allows students to hone their public speaking, writing, research,, and conflict resolution skills. Our debates lay a concrete foundation for students to demonstrate their talents through voicing opinions, writing, and negotiating in an environment that mirrors the United Nations. Moreover, engaging in discussion with people from diverse backgrounds encourages our delegates to take risks, be open-minded, and inquiring, in the process creating a distinct and intellectual set of individuals.
- DIAMUN 2009 - Empowerment through Education
- DIAMUN 2010 - The Impact of Globalisation
- DIAMUN 2011 - The Advancement of Technology
- DIAMUN 2012 - Sustainability Through Development
- DIAMUN 2013 - Education in the 21st Century
- DIAMUN 2014 - Millennium Development Goals: Dream or Reality?
- DIAMUN 2015 - International Migration: Scope, Complexity and Impact in the 21st Century
- DIAMUN 2016 - Women and Development: Investing in our future
- DIAMUN 2017 - International Response to Global Conflict
- DIAMUN 2018 - Global Innovation in Education, Energy and the Economy
- DIAMUN 2019 - Globalization through technological and environmental advancements
Initially, DIAMUN consisted of only three committees: The Security Council, The Second General Assembly, and the Human Rights Commission; the following year, three new committees were added: The First General Assembly, The Third General Assembly, and the World Economic Forum. In 2011, DIAMUN received official recognition as a 'The Hague International Model United Nations' (THIMUN) affiliated conference. The following year, at DIAMUN 2012, two new committees were introduced: The Global Environmental Summit and the League of Arab States. They too were added to the growing tally of committees. In 2013, two new committees, the African Union and the Advisory Panel Question, were added in order to change the outlook of the conference as a whole and tackle issues that were significant not only to the Middle Eastern region but also on a global scale.
DIAMUN 2013 was exceedingly successful, with delegates responding actively and enthusiastically to the wide range of issues discussed and producing well-researched resolutions. In 2014, the International Court of Justice was another first to the ever-expanding conference. DIAMUN 2015 had the greatest amount of progress in the history of DIAMUN by far. With four new committees including the Environmental Commission, Federal National Council, Nuclear Security Summit, and The Special Conference, we welcomed over 1,200 participants in our 12 committees and we were proud to host the biggest conference in the Middle East at our very own school. DIAMUN 2016 saw the addition of another successful committee, the Special Conference in Arabic which served as a forum for Arabic-speaking students at the conference to feel comfortable debating by speaking in their own language about pressing matters in and around the MENA region. DIAMUN 2019 made history as the first-ever paperless conference in the world.
Below is a brief summary of DIAMUN's growth over the years:
- 2009 - Security Council, The Second General Assembly, Human Rights Commission
- 2010 - Addition of the: First General assembly, the Third General Assembly, World Economic Forum
- 2012 - Addition of the: Global Environmental Summit, League of Arab States
- 2013 - Addition of the: African Union, Advisory Panel Question
- 2014 - Addition of the: International Court of Justice
- 2015 - Addition of the: Environmental Commission, Federal National Council, Nuclear Security Summit, The Special Conference
- 2016 - Addition of the: Youth Assembly and Special conference in Arabic
- 2019 - Addition of the: United Nations Development Programme
- 2020 - Addition of the: World Health Summit and United Nations Commission on Science and Technology for Development
- 2021 - Addition of the: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Historical Security Council, United Nations Peacekeeping Forces
The Model United Nations community at DIA has seen great success and witnessed remarkable progress in debate within every committee. However, our philosophy is to continuously improve the quality and standard of our conferences as well as to bring a new perspective to DIAMUN. Our executive team is working extremely hard to provide students a conference that will be bigger and better than ever despite the complications that came with the COVID-19 crisis. Our conference promises to bring about a higher caliber of debate, success, and accomplishment. We look forward to seeing you there.